Friday, March 4, 2011

What has Blogging Taught Me?

As I am inching closer to  the first anniversary of  my  blog (in the third week of March), I am overcome with nostalgia. Last year, around this time, two of my closest writing friends: Lia Keyes and Elizabeth Varadan, both of whom I had met online, had spent the better part of  January and February in  trying to convince me to start blogging.     
          
All my arguments were brushed aside by the two determined ladies. “What will I blog about?” I  had asked them. “You will find the topics they assured me.” “I won’t be good at it?” I had argued. “You will,” they said firmly. They even helped me select the  name  from the list I sent them, so that I did not procrastinate with the excuse that I was  unable to come up with a  decent blog name. They were also my first two followers.

Its going to be a year soon and I can sum up my blogging experience in  four words “I am loving it.” Not only have I connected with all of you wonderful people (who I would never have met if I had not jumped onto blogosphere), I have also had the opportunity of learning from each and every one of you. From how to brainstorm  story ideas to plot structures, to character arcs to sub-plots, to editing and revisions, you all have helped me along the writing path by literally holding my hand online.

I have also learnt that blogging is not just about  self promotion, or building a platform, its about making genuine connections with a fraternity who understands my journey: the ups and downs, and is  actually  walking beside me nodding in agreement.

Blogging is not just about me, it’s about US: celebrating the completion of  each other’s manuscripts, crying with  writing friends when they meet with rejections and dancing in celebration at acceptances and spreading the word around when our friends'  books hit the shelves. It’s about bursting online fireworks when we cannot be physically present at each other’s book launches. Its about promoting writers who we now consider good  friends, even though we have never met and  have only seen each other’s profile pictures and read each other’s profiles.

These online connections have now become an important part of our lives. We look forward to meeting each other online, via blog visits and comments. This is our conversation with other writers who we are not able to meet personally.

Here is hoping that I get to meet you all sometime in life (I am actually looking forward to it.) Hugs to each and everyone of you for  becoming a part of my writing life.

To celebrate my blogging anniversary, I will be hosting  two guest posts and a giveaway on 25 th March. I am sure  we all  are interested to know what has blogging  taught everyone? We all would love to hear your sound bites on blogging.

15 comments:

  1. Yes, so much about blogging is about the community aspect. I love that.

    And happy anniversary! I'm so thankful I met you, Rachna.

    AND thank you, btw, for lending me your time turner. I will be a good friend and actually give it back to you when I'm done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been nice learning from you.You have wonderful advice and tips to share. We appreciate your generosity in helping us learn from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely said! I agree completely. Happy Blogoversary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy almost one year! I too love blogging. It let's me connect with people I otherwise would have never met. I so appreciate my fellow blogging buddies such as yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your upcoming blog anniversary! I'm like you, I think the blogging experience has been great. I appreciate the wealth of information every one shares, and how we meet so many nice people along the way. It's like we writers have one big support group!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have PLENTY to blog about! Your posts are so helpful to writers out here in cyberspace. I appreciate what you bring to the table. Blogging truly is about community. I'm amazed at all I've learned from all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you approach writing and blogging with such curiosity! Happy anniversary! Keep going; you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a poignant and timely post, Ms. Bloggite Extraordinaire!

    I love your zest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats, Rachna! Its amazing to me that you're blogging for less than a year - I thought you're a seasoned blogger! Love reading your regular writing advice and tips. Here's to hoping you go strong for long!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm very glad they talked you into blogging, Rachna. Reaching that one year milestone is a fantastic achievement! Congratulations!

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought you were blogging from years. Your blog is full of great tips and you write from your heart with an honesty that comes across. Happy Anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy blogiversary! It's a great achievement and you've offered so much to the community in that time :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on this milestone! I too have loved making so many awesome blog friends, and have learned soooo much over the past few months.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I SO agree with your sentiments as I come upon my one-year blogging anniversary as well. It has been a blast and such a learning experience. And the relationships have been so inspiring; what a wonderful community to which we belong! Thanks for being a part of it, Rachna.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Rachna, i have shared this post of yours in my facebook group. The group is for Bhutanese bloggers, and we have a newspaper based in Bhutan who picked your article for their edition. hope its okie. Thanks for writing beautifully. cheers;)

    ReplyDelete