Friday, November 9, 2012

Getting the readers emotionally involved

I have been reading many writing craft books where the writing instructors speak about getting the readers emotionally involved or invested in, both the main character and the story, right from the first page.

The theory is that the faster a reader’s emotions are invested in both the main character and the story, the more tuned in they will be, the more eager they will be to turn the pages and know what is happening to the main character and the story.

I have noticed that this theory has lots of truth in it. Every book that has the problem that the main character faces right in chapter one eg: Will Katniss be chosen for the Hunger Games, which faction will Beatrice choose in Divergent, will Sara and her mother be able to leave Sara’s brute of a father and start a new life, will Sadie and Carter be able to save the world from Apophis (snake) in The Serpent’s Shadow, ensures complete and undivided reader attention. Atleast these books made me read them from start to finish.

Most writing craft books I have read talk about grabbing the readers’ emotions as soon as possible, and one way of doing that is by ensuring that the main character has the readers’ sympathy. If that has been done then the readers will read on to know what will happen next in the story.

In a nutshell the advice we are getting is that we should push the problems our protagonists face in the story, right into the first chapter to snag reader interest. No hanging around till the middle of the book for it to happen, because by then the reader may have lost interest in the story.

What’s your take on this? Do you believe in this theory? Have you followed this in your own books? Do you agree with this logic? Please share your views?

Here is wishing all my blog buddies a very Happy Diwali (13th November).

21 comments:

  1. Agree Rachna that the reader should be hooked from page 1:)Wishing you a Very happy Diwali too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So agree Rachna. That helps so much to get me as a reader to keep reading. And the story has to keep moving or I will put it down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so sure...
    the same i guess can be applied in the case of movies too ha?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do believe in it, but sometimes it's not as easy as it sounds, especially if you have an unlikeable character. You have to get the reader to sympathize with her ASAP or else all bets are off.

    Great advice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi friends,I agree with Stina that sometimes its not as easy as it sounds, in some cases the reader sympathy builds up slowly.In such cases we have to quicken the pace or else the reader will get bored.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Diwali, Rachna. (Well, in four days.)
    This is a great post and raises a really important point about writing books a reader will stay with.
    I do agree that the sooner the reader becomes emotionally invested in the outcome of the protagonist's problems, the readier they are to sign on for the whole ride. And I agree that the reader has to find the character sympathetic for that to happen. While I have had the experience of reading a book to the end because the writing was so compelling, although I didn't like the characters, after I finished the book, I decided not to read any more books by that author. I didn't want to spend any more time with unsympathetic people I didn't care about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that Blake Snyder called that the "Save the Cat!" moment. It's when the main character becomes sympathetic no matter who he is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do agree; the reader needs to be engaged with the characters as quickly as possible. As a reader, I will stop reading a book if I cannot connect with the characters and story early on. As a writer, I know this is easier said than done, but I aim to do it with my fiction.

    Happy weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely believe this is true. I want to be emotionally invested early so I have a reason to care what's going on in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this is true. I know I look for that connection when I'm reading a story, and if I don't pick it up after a few pages, I put the book down.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sure this is correct. I do think you have to grab them early with whatever will be the cheese in your trap.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You do want to give the MC a problem early, but it doesn't have to be a part of the main plot. Many times, you need to get the reader hooked before you introduce the MC to the story worthy plot.

    As Alex pointe out in an earlier comment, that's what the Save The Cat scenes are meant to do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally agree. We need to grab the reader's emotions as soon as possible. Not always easy though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Diwali!

    I agree. The reader needs to be invested in the MC from the very first page, and throwing them in the path of trouble as soon as possible is the way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, I think grab the reader's attention from the very start. I've tried to do this in my novel, hope I've succeeded!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are right, Rachna. The writing becomes more captivating when the author is able to involve the reader emotionally. And that's by no means easy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Save the Cat, Rachna!!!!!!!!!! And emotion is my hardest thing. *sigh* But I'm getting better. I guess my problem writing emotion comes from writing funny picture books. Thanks for always stopping by and supporting me. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's definitely all about that emotional connection. Creating empathy is the hardest thing to do, but the strongest pull that keeps the reader invested in our characters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree. Sometimes when the plot is lacking I'll read on because of the emotional connection.

    ReplyDelete