Friday, November 16, 2012

Why writers should be members of libraries?

As a kid I would look forward to my Saturday morning visit to the library close to our house, accompanied by my elder sister. She would generously pay the weekly rental charges for all the books I would borrow for a week from her pocket money. When that library closed down, I was heart-broken. The library owners offered the members the books at one-tenth of its price. Needless to say I bought many books.

A few years later we became members of a club near our house. This club has an awesome collection of books: childrens' books, both the classics and the latest best-sellers, as well as adult fiction and non-fiction books.

For us writers reading books is like doing homework. We need to read both old and new books, get familiar with different plots and themes, learn new styles of writing. Nothing can teach us all this better than books.

As it’s not possible for us to buy every book that hits the shelves, borrowing it from a library is a great option. Not just due to financial constraints, it’s also because of lack of space (we would need a mansion to store all the books that we read) being a member of a library will serve us well. And in case we don’t like a book, we are not stuck with it, we have the option of returning it back and borrowing another book.

I love my weekly visits to the club library. I browse the shelves, flipping through the pages to see if the writing strikes a chord with me and then I borrow the book. I have noticed a strange thing; whenever I borrow a book, I tend to read it fast. But for books which I buy, they just raise the height of my TBR pile.

What do you all feel about libraries? Are you members of any library in your town? How often do you visit a library? Or do you prefer buying books from book shops instead of borrowing them from a library?

P.S. I finally started my Author Page after procrastinating for ages. Take a look and let me know what you all think.


As I will be travelling, my next post will be on 30th November. What will keep me occupied during the flight and airport stopovers are the books I have borrowed from the library. Till then keep writing.

17 comments:

  1. I do worry what will happen to libraries as digital books take over. Always a place I love to visit.

    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have kids, so the library is a must. I was buy too many books (still am), but now I'm trying to borrow more from the library. Especially when it comes to research for my WIPs. That's when the library is essential for me. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a library card, but rarely visit. EBooks are changing things I'm afraid, as that's how I do all of my reading now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post, Rachna. I love libraries. I take my daughter to a library twice a week at least. WE are lucky to have three public libraries here in the city where we live. This love for libraries started in my childhood and I support libraries in every way I can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. Even in these internet savvy days, what is on your shelves and what is in the local library, these two have a great influence on how -- and in which direction -- you develop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Though I have read a few EBooks, I still prefer the hard copy and love to browse through the library, picking books whose titles and covers attract me. For me a visit to the library is a weekly ritual.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must confess that I don't use a library often as I should. I buy ebooks and 2nd hand books mostly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. in this part of the world anyway libraries are facing early extinction...

    but you got a nice point made here

    ReplyDelete
  9. *proudly waves his library card* I'm a member! Never leave home without it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE libraries!!! My kids and I go every week. I even got my daughter her own library card because between the three of us (me, my 8-yo girl, and my 4-yo boy), 30 items were not enough. The two kids were constantly fighting over how many books and DVDs they could get, and at the same time, make room for the books I borrow. So now she has her own card, and between the two of us, that's 60 materials we can borrow at one time. So yeah, we go crazy over books and libraries. :) I'm really glad that my kids love books as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE libraries. I'm a member of two libraries near me. I love it for my kids, and I love it for me, too. And my library even has an ebook library, so I can borrow books that way too! It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sadly I don't go to the library as often as I used to, with the rise of ebooks. But if I'm ever there with my daughter, it's like a sweet shop for her. She always has to borrow something, and she loves finding new books! It makes me very happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to admit I don't go to the library very much. I usually just buy books, but I only read 1 or 2 a month as busy as I am. If I had more time to read, I would definitely need to utilize the library :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've not been to the local library in a while. I need to go back. :) Enjoy your travels and time off!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The library is like one of the last bastions of civilisation...
    I still love to visit the library, though I don't do so as often as I used to.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've belonged to libraries all my life. My mother used to joke that she could use the library as a baby-sitter when I was small, because I could just sit and read and pore over the shelves for hours, not to mention bringing home a stack. I have a stack of library books right now, side by side with a few books I've bought. And you are right, I read the library books faster. Maybe because they have a due date. Who knows?

    Congratulations on having your Ganesh story published. And I like your author page.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Honestly, I don't use the library as much as I used to. I do get digital books, but that only requires me to visit once a year to have my info updated. I'd rather buy books than borrow them. When I was young the library was the place to be at. I remember so many favorite library books. I loved discovering new books on the shelves.

    ReplyDelete