Friday, February 13, 2015

When a new story tempts you


 “Does a story choose a writer, or, does a writer choose the story?” this question asked by a friend stumped me. It triggered a series of thoughts, each more puzzling than the next.

This question is akin to asking what came first; the chicken or the egg? Do we choose our stories, or, do the stories choose us? I think it’s a bit of both. The initial advances and overtures are made by the story; it comes knocking on our door, eager for us to tell the world about it.

Then we (the writers) take the second step; we mull over the story, decide whether it’s worthy of our time and effort. Perhaps we even do a rough outline.

The story teases and tantalizes us to follow it, throwing all kinds of temptations our way, seducing us with its newness and easy availability. Thoroughly seduced, head over heels in lust, we are completely smitten. That’s what a new story is doing to me. It’s an adult fiction, with elements of a thriller and romance in it. I think this story has chosen me to write it. It’s just not leaving me alone. To get away from it, I started another MG Fiction. But, my mind is always going to that particular story.

I am wondering whether I should give in to its charms. This will be my first adult fiction. I am slightly worried as it will be a big leap from middle grade to adult. There is so much confusion in my mind. To write that story or not to write. As I don’t want to waste time working on a story that I may not do justice to it. There are all kinds of doubts in my mind. Will I be able to write an adult fiction?

A friend forwarded me this link to write the first draft in 29 daysNext week I will start writing my new story. I think I can afford to spend 29 days working on it and see where the first draft is heading.

Any advice for me? Have you all written for different age groups? If yes, how have you managed it?








15 comments:

  1. If you write that story, we can also read :)

    I think story chooses the individual. We are only its instrument. One story was played in my mind and I wrote it as such once I woke up! When authors realize how much they don't control in life, perhaps they'll write with more humility.

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome that you are going to try it. You can do it for 29 days like you said and see how it feels and then decide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post. I think you've got it right. The story chooses us, but we have to respond.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you can do it. If the story is calling to you, try it for twenty-nine days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd say "Go for it." It might open up a whole new world to you. I think when a story knocks, it's a good sign. When your muse shows up, be welcoming. In answer to one of your other questions, I do write for different ages. I know lots of people specialize, but I wouldn't be happy if I turned certain stories down, and I've had wok published both for adults and for children.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've made some short story forays into different age groups. I'm with Alex and Elizabeth - for 29 days, go for it! Write your best, and then take a break from it so you can look back and see it clearly. Some of my projects (especially the ones coming out this year) are years in the making, from mulled over idea to final fruition. But, 29 days is worth taking the idea out for a sprint! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I almost think it's both. I think a story first chooses us but then we have to choose it by writing it. These are many ideas that come to me but that I haven't gotten to yet. If that one story won't leave you alone, go with it! When you hit a lull or roadblock, you can work on your other WIP for awhile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Story chooses the writes, no doubt. At least, that's how it is for me. Also, the more I get down on paper and the faster I do it, usually the better. Looking forward to reading your next great story:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My suggestion is to write an outline and let it simmer. Write that MG book you started and then come back to your new idea if you still like it. I've been trying to leap to different ideas that I like, but that doesn't work well. And I don't want to have a thousand story beginnings (well, maybe first paragraphs, but not first 1,000 words). The only MG I've written has been a Percy Jackson fan fic, but I've written some fiction intended for the picture book audience, YA, and adult (all in short fiction).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've written YA and MG, and the stories are so different that there's no problem in knowing which is which and how to write them. I'm never sure where a story comes from. When my husband reads what I write, he says they're all about what I've experienced. But I don't see it. To me, those stories came from the ether.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think sometimes you just have to get that story out! I wrote a YA book about a year ago when there was a lag between projects. My agent said it wasn't something she could sell, but I enjoyed writing it. Apparently there's an pile of books like the YA one I wrote for every one type of MG book I write! I don't regret it, though--no writing is ever a waste. We always learn and grow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Rachna! It's been a long time but I wanted to pop over and say hi.

    I get story inspiration in lots of different ways - usually just a random idea that I play with, but sometimes it hits really strong and all falls into place without seeming to need my help :) I say go for it with the adult story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. If it won't leave you alone then I say go for it. 29 days isn't too much and if it's right then you should be flying along! I have written YA as well as adult and as you'll probably be writing from the POV of someone in the age group you're aiming at, that should dictate how it's written and hopefully it'll be age appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree that it's a bit of both. I also believe that if the story is haunting you that much you should give it a try. It may be difficult, and it may not turn out exactly as you think it will, but you will learn and grow. And, you might just be surprised at how amazing it turns out.

    ReplyDelete