Friday, September 18, 2015

My muse is on a dating rampage

I had once mentioned that my muse has a roving eye, a tendency to pack his bags and do the disappearing act, that he was moody, irresponsible (drops ideas and then does the vanishing act), had no sense of a timing (from the shower to the dining table, he drops in unannounced and expects me to leave everything and follow him around). Well, that was just the tip of the ice-berg.

Now, I have realized that my muse has started dating multiple story ideas. Just when I had convinced myself that it was high time I started my adult thriller (though mentally I have been working on it from some time), my darling muse drops another adult novel idea into my head, complete with the names of all the characters (Ria, Rohit, Payal, Kunal,Tara and Siddhant) and what they do, how they look like. My generous muse has even dropped the story title.

And to make matters worse, he even convinced me to start outlining the new story. I started it yesterday and have written around 250 words and made mental character sketches of the different characters. All this is happening while I’m revising my MG book which my critique partner sent back with his detailed notes.

Though I’m thrilled that the new idea has jumped into my head (I always wanted to write a YA novel) I am also scared that I’m working on too many things. Fingers crossed that I keep up the momentum and work on my YA idea secretly (not so secret anymore, since I blogged about it.)

I have decided that this new project will be written alongside my MG stories, so that if I flop in my adult book, I’ll still have my children’s books. I’m seeing it as a win-win situation. And this kind of double-dating two story ideas  is actually quite nice.


P.S The winners of the giveaway of Brutal are Alex Cavanaugh (he has won the Ebook) and Mary Preston (she has won a hard copy).  Congrats Alex and Mary. Mary please email me your postal address.

11 comments:

  1. Good that I didn't win the contest -- I don't want to read HORROR :P

    I have never tried writing two stories at once, I don't even read two stories at once, but high time I tried it. What say? :)

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I won! Thanks.
    I couldn't write two stories at once. But I know many can. Maybe jot down enough of the details so you don't forget?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those Muses are pesky creatures, indeed! I am already bouncing around with four half-written stories and two outlines, and of course, a new idea comes trundling through with no warning just two days ago. It is a bit overwhelming, but also kind of amazing. Best of luck with everything you're working on, Rachna!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Muses only think about themselves, don't they. Mine had given me so many story ideas that I can't possibly keep up. Good luck with all of your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trying to work on two or more projects at the same time is tough. I know, because I'm trying to do that now. And, I might add, not very successfully. It slows my progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you're paying your muse overtime. Sounds like he deserves it:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Muses can be fickle. But if you have a great idea, you should definitely write it down! It's great your muse is so active!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It does sound like a win-win! The great thing about your muse is IF it becomes too much, he'll get tired and let you know which one has his full attention. I rather work on several simultaneously while the ideas are hot than forget the details I wanted to have in the books just because I wanted to focus on just one. You can do it! How exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bad Muse! However, if he even remotely resembles that guy in the photo, I'd forgive him. Mine is not a hunk and, therefore, usually very loyal to a story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your muse sounds like quite the philanderer. But that might not be a bad thing. :)

    ReplyDelete