Friday, January 13, 2017

Change in my Blogging Schedule

When I started blogging on March 22nd 2010, I used to blog twice week: Tuesdays and Fridays. Slowly over the years I reduced it to once a week, restricting it to Fridays. And when I joined IWSG I skipped the first Friday as I had already posted on the first Wednesday.

I’ve restricted my blog to my writing journey, talking about all aspects of my writing, editing, plotting, querying and other writing related stuff and I seldom discuss random stuff on my blog. I’ve realized that over all these years I think I’m running out of topics to blog about, often repeating something I had already written about a few years earlier.

And from the past few months I’ve realized that I’m quite late in returning comments. I don’t like doing this, as I consider blogging all about interacting with other writers and bloggers. Returning comments is my way of forging a relationship with them, showing that I care about them as writers and bloggers and that I’m interested in their writing journeys and celebrating with them when they get an agent or a publishing deal or when their book is launched.

Now I come to the all important question. To cope up with everything I’m doing should I further reduce the number of days from four times a month to thrice or twice a month, until I catch up with all the pending work? That way I’ll be able to visit all my blogging friends. I don’t want to completely stop blogging, and I love my IWSG posts. I actually look forward to it.

What do you all advice? How do I balance my writing, reading and blogging? Shall I reduce the number of days? Or take a blogging break (which I don’t want to do). I need all your suggestions and help with this dilemma.


8 comments:

  1. If you need to cut back on the blogging, especially during busy times or take a blogging break at times, I think it's fine. We all go through those busy times. The important thing is to come back when you can. I take advantage of the slower months in the summer and November and December when blogs are slower in general and plan to blog less during those months. I find the fewer posts those months and less time reading blogs actually refreshes me. Don't stress about this too much. Whatever you decide is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Natalie said. Cutting back to twice a month for a while might help, but do come back. It is hard to keep up with comments. That's why I only post once a week. In fact, there are still comments I need to return from this week's post. But it is all about interacting and making friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After blogging almost 12 years, mostly on publishing and promoting tips, there are days I feel I have said it all. But new things emerge and sometimes I have a guest post instead.

    I'm challenged to visit everyone, too. That's why I only blog a couple times a month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm cutting back on my blog posts as well, including having fewer guest authors appear. I plan to spend lots more time writing, so I need to re-evaluate the purpose of my blog. I love connecting with all my blogger friends, but it's not helping me get my work done. A dilemma, to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's ok to take breaks too:) A little hiatus sometimes refreshes the desire for blogging. Either way, we'll be here for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe post ten days and twenty days out from your IWSG posts so that you have three per month that are spaced out. The day of the week that you would be posting on would change constantly, but you could always write your posts in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i totally cut back - only twice a month, but more if a friend needs a shoutout =) do what you can, that's my motto. follow your heart!

    and thanks for stopping by my cradle rock release party! happy 2017!
    Tara Tyler Talks

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have to do what keeps you sane. I've had periods where I posted once a month, and some where I posted 6 days a week. What I've found is that the blogosphere seems to be slowing down, and thus I'm reducing my schedule to twice a month vs the once I week I used to do. Will that change? Most likely. Will I feel bad about being less present? Probably. So be it.

    ReplyDelete